Tuesday 11 September 2012

Scarier Little Uglier Guys

One thing I love about travelling is finding all the stuff you can't find at home.  The very first day I was in Florida we stopped by a Target and I found the Coffin pack for S.L.U.G. Zombies Series 2.  Now I've completed the set!

Finishing off Series 2

It kinda bugs me, but you can only get certain Zombies in the Coffin multipacks and other ones only in the 3-packs.  Which means unless you plan things carefully you'll probably end up with doubles.  Luckily my niece and nephew like zombies too, so I unloaded the extras on them.


Maximus Cadaverous

Any way, Series 2 is rounded out by Maximus Cadaverous - a type of zombified Julius Caesar (not that an ancient Roman's body should be around after all this time to be reanimated, but hey); Teddy Terror - described as a "hooligan" in his former life, but who's obviously a parody of Curly from the Three Stooges (he likes seltzer water, so there you go); Dr. Outbreak - an undead mad scientist who you KNOW is responsible for the S.L.U.G. Zombies world, and Jump-Shot Rot - a basketball playing zombie (I'd be impressed if any zombie could dribble a basketball.  Most just dribble).

Jump-Shot Rot

I think this set is a must just for Dr. Outbreak.  I doubt there's any real in-depth storyline behind S.L.U.G. Zombies.  It's mostly just cool toys, parody characters, and funny bios.  But I always make up storylines for the stuff I collect.  I just can't help myself.  To me Dr. Outbreak is responsible for the zombie outbreak.  The monkey Mr. Jangles would probably be Patient 0, he'd bite Dr. Outbreak, and then it all goes downhill from there.

Dr. Outbreak

Teddy Terror is another must-have for me.  I'm a huge Three Stooges fan, and I think it's funny to see them parodied in zombie form.

Teddy Terror (nyuk nyuk nyuk!)

But wait, there's more!  On a later trip to Toys "R" Us while still in Florida I found the entire set of Series 3!

Series 3 Zombies

This new series has some of my faves so far.  On the zombies side we have Louie Fingers - who at first glance comes across as some kind of gangster (with his old-timey clothes and his bio stating that he likes "to be the boss").  However, he's clearly a parody of Moe from the Three Stooges.  His got a mussed up version of Moe's classic bowl-cut, a giant mallet for Vaudeville tomfoolery, and he even has his fingers out for some undead eye poking; Jeet Kune Dead - a zombified Bruce Lee with his severed hand still clutching the other half of his nunchucks; Extra Crispy - a hilarious zombie parody of Colonel Sanders; The Towering Terror - based on Andre the Giant (and my least favorite figure of the line.  He's just too plain for my tastes); Tragic Magic - a zombie magician who can pull a rabbit's head out of his hat; Trashcan Sam - a dumpster diver in an oversized trashcan; Singer Mortis - a zombie version of Elvis (I guess he wasn't on the moon); Squeamy Sashimi - a sushi cook with fingers on his cutting board (though they don't seem to be his); The Deadlifter - a zombie weightlifter who tried to lift more than he could (thus rendering the big guy nearly harmless); Basehit Bones - A baseball player with a leg for a bat and a bat for a leg; Decrepit Katie - the token zombie nurse (who I can see helping out Dr. Outbreak in the beginning); and Zero Hero - an undead superhero who can probably leap a tall building in a single bound, then leave a disgusting mess on the pavement when he comes back down again.

Louie Fingers (chowder head!)

Jeet Kune Dead

Extra Crispy

The Towering Terror

Tragic Magic

Trashcan Sam

Singer Mortis

Squeamy Sashimi

The Deadlifter

Basehit Bones

Decrepit Katie

Zero Hero

I mentioned in my first post about Series 2 that the real draw for me to this line is the human survivors.  Funny-looking zombies is one thing, but they're useless without some humans to balance the scales.  Series 3 gives us four new humans to add to the ranks of zombie hunters.  Fighting for survival this time are Riled-Up Riley - a Shaun of the Dead parody who relies on his boy scout training for survival; Johnny Two-Guns - basically Chuck Norris, who can shoot down zombies just by yelling "bang!"; Double-Barrel Carol - a B-movie loving geek girl with a shotgun (and my personal favorite of the humans this time around); and Woody the Wrecker - a hillbilly with a pickaxe who may be named after Woody Harrelson from Zombieland and strangely quotes The Shawshank Redemption in his bio ("If you ain't busy killin', you're busy dyin'!").

Fresh meat

Riled-Up Riley

Johnny Two-Guns

Double-Barrel Carol

Woody the Wrecker

The official S.L.U.G. Zombies website has a downloadable collector's poster that shows off the entire series (what's come out already and what will come out).  It looks as though we'll be getting another 10 humans down the line, which will total the survivors out at 18.  That's a lot of zombie hunters to look forward to, as well as a ton of weird and wacky zombies waiting to be released.  As I said in my last post, this line seems like a small one, but I hope it makes it to the end of it's planned characters.  This is one line where I want to get everyone!  Now all I have to do is find Series 1...

Oh, a wise guy!

The collector's poster also seems to show a parody of Larry from the Three Stooges (his trademark frizzy hair can be seen on one zombie, who also has something protruding from his head).  I would at the very least want the line to last long enough to complete my Zombie Stooges.

The Zombies of Series 2 and 3

Zombie hunters

Lab geeks

How are they even still around!?

I'm guessing this'll be a slow match

Secret herbs and spices...

With these guys, all zombies are expendable!

Batter up!

Cloistered creeps

Redneck rampage

Musta' taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque!

Axe beats pickaxe, buddy

Knuckle up

If you want to check out my coverage of the majority of S.L.U.G. Zombies Series 2, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment